Friday, April 4, 2014

Richeson75ONLINE Still Life & Floral Awards

from: Terry Stanley richeson75@gmail.com via richesonart.ccsend.com


Visit the Still Life & Floral Online Exhibit by  Clicking HERE

Upcoming Richeson75 Entry Deadlines


Entry Deadline 3/28/14

Entry Deadline 7/23/14
Entry Deadline 8/18/14
Entry Deadline 12/5/14




 



Dear Milwaukee Sketch,

We are pleased to announce the opening of the Richeson75Online Still Life and Floral 2014 Exhibit.  Our Awards Juror, Ms. Elizabeth Robbins has made her selections. She has sent the following Juror's Statement:

"There were so many great paintings and want to congratulate all of you for making the top 75.

As a judge I first look at all the images as a thumbnail. If the images have an interesting composition and reads well as a thumbnail then it should read well as a large painting.

After I look at them as a thumbnail, I look for harmony, variety of edges, a overall good handling of the paint and emotion. If a painting draws me in and makes me keep looking, then for me that ways heavily on my decision. "

The judge's comments about why she selected each precede the images. Thanks to Liz and congratulations to all the winners!


Juror's Honorable Mentions (2)
"Viewing this as a thumbnail I was immediately drawn to it. Upon closer examination I loved the paint quality about this one. Loved the harmony of the reds with the warm greens. I'm not quite sure what the white object at the top is (maybe a plate?) but I don't care. Love the touch of soft blue greens and lavender in it. It verges on an abstract."

"Loved the painting quality. The lights are thick and juicy. Having a collection of blue and white myself, I was taken with this painting. Loved how the vase and the main yellow daisy are taken to a more finished step while the other lowers are more abstract. If everything it taken to a finished step then there is nothing left to the imagination. "



3rd Place:
"Wonderful color harmony. I loved how the chrysanthemums are definitely the focal point. The little book and vase are subordinate to the flowers. There is no confusing where to look in this painting. Wonderful edges."


2nd Place:
"Loved this pastel. It's an ordinary subject matter but the way it's cropped is very nice. I loved the temperature changes in this one. The warm light with the cool shadows are wonderful. The one lost edge at the upper left makes me come into the painting and want to keep following the line to the two main petunias. Love how the focal point is resolved while other petunias are just abstract shapes but you know they are petunias.
As a flower lover, this pastel made me smile."


First Place:
"Wow, Again, as a thumbnail I was immediately drawn to this painting. I have to admit that the subject matter and even the name made me a bit uncomfortable but for that reason I kept looking again and again. The harmony in the painting is wonderful. Again, the background is less resolved than the skull which makes the skull the important item in the painting. The negative shapes caused by the cast shadows are very interesting. I tune into negative shapes sometimes even more than positive shapes and these were great."

Best In Show:
"This painting read really well as a thumbnail. There is more negative space than positive which makes the elements in the painting have more impact. The is an unbalance of light and dark which is important. If you have the same amount of Light vs. Dark then painting becomes boring. The whole concept is fabulous. What an unexpected collection of things together to paint. I loved the unfinished quality of the background yet the elements were taken to a higher degree of finish. Well done!"