Sunday, July 29, 2012

2 EAST SIDE PLEIN AIR WORKSHOPS SCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY, AUGUST 3rd

McKinleyMarina by Jim Hempel
Hi All-
  I'm fortunate to be out of the studio painting in Door County this week. It's incredibly scenic up here, with so many gorgeous scenes to choose from. Tomorrow morning I'll be painting in the Dockside quick paint in Fish Creek.

VeteransParkLagoon by Jim Hempel
Downer-Cinema by Jim Hempel
   Once back in Milwaukee, I'll be offering two outdoor Plein Air painting workshops on the East Side on Friday, August 3rd. The first is a daylong, from 10AM - 4PM. We'll meet at McKinley Marina & Lagoon. The second will be a night plein air painting workshop along Downer Avenue from 7:30-11:00PM. It will be a great day filled with painting and learning. Choose to participate in one or the other, or both. The workshop fee for each is $50.
  
Here are the basics:
 A small pull cart is handy for getting your portable easel and painting gear to a spot where you wish to paint. I have one extra. Let me know if you would like to borrow it ahead of time and I can bring it along for you. I also have 2 extra French easels if you would like to participate, but do not yet own a suitable easel for plein air painting.

The needed materials for the day will be as follows: portable easel, paints, odorless mineral spirits, paper toweling, canvas boards (at least 2 small to medium size), garbage bag to keep things tidy, bag lunch, beverage, hat, jacket, sunblock, etc. If you have an umbrella for your easel it is helpful for bright days or light sprinkles, but not at all necessary. If it's bright and you wish to paint in the shade there are plenty of trees as well as sheltered areas.

I'm planning on having us accomplish 2 different paintings/scenes for the day. One in the morning, and one in the afternoon. During the course of the day I will demonstrate, critique, teach you about color mixing for the plein air palette, how capture immediacy in plein air landscapes, as well as paint alongside you. I'll demonstrate while you eat your lunch, so you can maximize your painting time in the morning and afternoon. We will wrap up at about 4:00PM, but I am amenable to go later if people have the interest and enthusiasm beyond that time frame. Then after a break for dinner, I'll reconvene on Downer with those who wish to enjoy the cool quiet stillness of painting lit street scenes by dusk and night. The Downer Theater with all of it's neon, marquee lights, posters and people has been a favorite thing to paint, but there are interior lit boutiques, bakeries, restaurants, patio dining, Ace hardware, and many other shop windows and subjects to paint along a short 2 block area.


Just let me know by reply to this e-mail if you plan to join us. We are going to have a great day of painting! 

Please feel free to email if you have any other questions about this workshop or need to figure out any other arrangements. My cell phone service is virtually non-existent in Door County, so be aware if you call I won't get your message and be able to return your call until I'm south of Green Bay after the weekend. Thanks!

Yours in Art,
- James Hempel
jwhempel


@hotmail.com