Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Jim Hempel - Friday Plein Air Workshop Opportunity

For those of you who have not joined me on Facebook, for the first half of May I have been on the Florida Gulf coast painting as one of 20 invited national plein air painters at "America's Great Paint Out-Florida's Forgotten Coast Plein Air". I encourage you to view the participating artists body of work created at this plein air event at www.pleinairfl.com. We worked incredibly hard, and the resulting show was the strongest I've seen in all the years I've been participating in this wonderful plein air event, or any for that matter. Sales reached an all-time high; the event kicked up a notch to a whole new level. There was much jubilation and many fond farewells before we all headed off on our journeys back to our various home states.
I'm en route back to Wisconsin today. My regular studio classes will resume Wednesday morning, as well as morning and afternoon class on Saturday. There will not be a Tuesday morning class until next week, so I encourage Tuesday students to make up this week's studio class on Wednesday or Saturday.

To welcome spring and start the outdoor painting season, I had offered an impromptu plein air workshop before leaving in April. Little did I realize how cold and rainy April would turn out to be. Because the first effort was dampened by weather, I will be offering a repeat this Friday, May 18th from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm at Monches Farm. I hope all of you who had expressed interest in the first offering will be able to attend this Friday. 

The farm is one of our favorite painting spots, offering a picturesque variety of rustic subjects including expansive perennial gardens, a flock of friendly sheep, free ranging exotic breeds of chickens, wild country meadows, and a distant view of Holy Hill Basilica. You can see more images of the farm at their website www.monchesfarm.com

I will provide a materials list to those who respond to this email with intent to attend. Please use Mapquest to obtain driving directions from your start point. Monches Farm is located at 5890 Monches Rd., Monches, WI 53017. 

The workshop fee for the day will be $50, and will include a lunchtime demonstration and individual instruction/demonstration throughout the day. There is no fee to enter Monches Farm. It is a commercial plant nursery, landscaping and retail business, as well as a farm.

We are looking forward to a great day of painting. I hope you will be able to join us!


Best Regards,
 James Hempel
 
James Hempel Fine Arts